Running a charity or voluntary organisation can be an incredibly rewarding experience, but setting one up can seem like a daunting prospect.
Many find the burden of increasingly complex legislation and administrative requirements off-putting. At Milsted Langdon, our charity team has a wealth of experience in advising people who wish to start a charity or voluntary organisation.
If you are planning to set up a charity, then we can help you with a wide range of issues, including:
- Defining the objectives of your charity and whether this falls within Charity Commission guidelines particularly in respect of public benefit
- Formulating a business plan, including how costs will be met
- Finding the right organisational structure, whether this be an unincorporated association, a trust, a company limited by guarantee or, coming in the near future, a charitable incorporated organisation (CIO)
- Clarifying the roles and responsibilities of trustees
- Claiming back income tax on Gift Aid donations and minimising any tax liabilities
Whatever your plans are, discussing them with our charities team at an early stage will ensure you receive the advice you need to ensure your organisation gets off to a smooth start.
To find out how we can help you, please contact us.