Specialisms: Problem solving, management consultancy, business turnaround and insolvency. Sector specialisms: Charitable and not-for-profit, green energy and recycling and hi-tech industries
Licensed insolvency practitioner
Member of the Institute of Consulting
Affiliate of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
Simon is a licensed Insolvency Practitioner with extensive experience in dealing with all aspects of insolvency and business recovery.
He has spent many years dealing with businesses facing financial challenges and now uses the experience gained to help clients in a wide range of circumstances, assisting when decisions need to be made and then helping to ensure those decisions are implemented.
Assignments can range from working on strategic acquisitions alongside our Corporate Finance Team or advising a business that finds itself without any management due to illness or death.
He also leads the firm’s dedicated intervention team, helping businesses which have stumbled upon difficult times this may be a board or shareholder deadlock or dispute or a key officer being incapacitated and needing to be replaced on an interim basis.
Simon also provides advice to businesses on strategic development, looking at ways to improve existing successful enterprises, as well as assisting businesses that wish to adapt and change.
Simon initially trained with a national firm, working in their offices in the South West, including Exeter and Bristol. He joined Milsted Langdon in 2002 and moved to the Bristol office when it opened in 2004.
Having qualified as an Insolvency Practitioner in 2007, he was admitted to partnership in 2008. Along with Rachel Hotham, Simon is responsible for the insolvency team in the Bristol office as well as heading up the firm’s London office and the consultancy team.
Detailed summary of experience
Simon has a wide range of experience in all areas of business management and insolvency work, having advised businesses and individuals on change management, rescue strategies and closures. His areas of expertise include:
- business rescue: Simon has extensive experience in helping otherwise successful businesses that have suffered a cash flow crisis or other financial difficulty due to bad debts or other unforeseen circumstances. He has worked with these businesses to create strategies to help them restructure and move forward
- liquidations and administrations: sometimes a business cannot be rescued and Simon has dealt with many closure situations. This is often a stressful time for all involved and Simon is aware of the importance of giving extra support to the directors, especially in dealing with employees and advising them on their entitlements. Sharing the strain of dealing with creditors and debt collectors can make a significant difference and Simon believes this also makes easier the process of realising the assets of the company to provide the maximum return to creditors and stakeholders
- individuals: it is not only companies that can suffer financial difficulties and Simon has assisted a large number of individuals to manage their debt problems during what can generally be a stressful time. Debt solutions can include Individual Voluntary Arrangements and advice on debt management or bankruptcy
- creditor advice: Simon has also attended meetings and sat on committees on behalf of creditors who find that they have suffered a bad debt in respect of an insolvent customer. He has represented their interests in the insolvency to help ensure they achieve the best possible outcome
- strategic change: Simon has helped companies and businesses overcome difficulties and challenges by adapting existing business practices, exploring additional markets and reorganising supply chains
- problem-solving: whether he is taking over from a financial director who has had to go into hospital for several months or assisting in splitting a partnership where the relationship between the partners has completely broken down, Simon relishes the challenge of coming up with innovative solutions to complex problems
- investigations: Simon has taken many appointments where there were allegations of hidden assets or other pre-insolvency wrong doing. With the help of our in-house forensic experts he has traced money through accounts to find missing money and with our international MGI Worldwide colleagues dealt with overseas assets.